Shooting for competition brief

Today I went out into Nottingham to take some images for the competition brief i have chosen by the Young Creative Awards. The brief wanted images of Nottingham as a ‘future city’ and so i went out with the aim of collecting images that reflected my own interpretation of this meaning. I focused on capturing images that showed developments that were currently occurring in Nottingham in the present day, as this is what my creative intentions were for the project.

Research Poster

Today I started working on my research poster. Creating a poster on Photoshop is something that i have not attempted before so this is something that i am finding to be challenging. In order to help me with my poster i have looked at some written tutorial articles in order to help me and to also help develop my skills on Photoshop.

I mainly started by sorting out all of the information that i wanted to put onto my poster, and what layout i was aiming for. I began to create the poster and created the layout.

As a first attempt i think it went well with the assistance of the tutorials, and this is something i hope to develop as i can carry on with producing my work.

Research report

We have been given the task of creating our research question that we will have to carry out and research into. The aim is to produce two presentations, one posing our question and our intention, and the second posing our results and conclusions. This will be all summed up in a final poster design at the end of the year.

For my question I’m going to look into how noise can be reduced through camera settings and i will carry out an experiment to show my findings from my research.

Prototyping

In today’s session we were allowed to go out and take some practice photos for our chosen competition or client briefs. The aim was to help us gather ideas for when we were going to perform the actual task in the coming weeks.

During this session I assisted Alon with his prototyping for his brief as i wasn’t prepared for the session due to missing the prior one. I helped his prototyping by modeling for some photographs that he was going to practice on and edit ahead of his real shoot, photographing models wearing a clothing brand.

note- I later did this session in my own time and took some photos of Nottingham in order to do my own prototyping ahead of my own shoot.

Finishing the teachers pack

Today after receiving some input from the rest of my group I managed to finish the writing for the remainder of the teachers pack. This focused on including some brief information about the castles history in a timeline style, writing up an example itinerary and adding a few things here and there to make sure that it covered everything we wanted to include. After finishing the writing I handed over my information to Harry who had designed the teachers pack so we could finalize it and put it altogether.

I feel like the information I included for the teachers pack was relevant for teachers and for booking a school trip easily. ┬áBut however, after researching into other teachers packs, especially those related to other castles, it is apparent that the amount of information in our teacher pack is a lot substantial. This is something i felt like could be improved if i were to do it again. I would do this by doing even more in depth research about teaching packs but also by getting as much information about Nottingham Castle and their relationships with schools from the venue itself as i feel like they could offer me a lot of information that could’ve been helpful and used in this teacher pack. But something to remember is that in those castle teacher packs, the castle was actually a castle, and not a reconstructed ducal palace, so they had a lot more to inform the teachers about in regards to their specific venues.

 

Final Group Meeting

Today our group got to meet for the last time before we present our campaign tomorrow at the Broadway cinema. We used this time to see what everyone had done so far and to offer any criticisms or last minute tweaks to our work. I felt our group worked well with giving critiquing and giving back feedback, and it was very helpful and beneficial for our work. As it’s always good to have a few opinions on what you what you are producing.

Overall I believe that our group could’ve worked a lot better together in this project because there was a huge lack in communication and attendance to timetabled sessions that could’ve massively helped with our work, especially in the earlier days of producing our thoughts and ideas. Next time I would ensure that communication levels are maintained throughout the whole process in order to keep the group on track and to know what work everyone is doing, and to help with feedback. And to also ensure that every group member had an equal amount of work to do, as i feel like i could’ve put more work in if i was given the opportunity to do more.

Updating the teachers pack…

Today I started writing more for the teachers pack, with some useful help from Michaela over our Facebook group. Today I focused on what events Nottingham Castle will have to offer to the schools and students it’s wanting to attract to their venue. I used some of the events they already offer and included our groups event that we had created. This shows the teachers what things Nottingham castle has going on, and also that they seek to include elements of the national curriculum to help guide education and learning in a more active and experienced way.